Lemon Essential Oil (Citrus limon) has a strong, purifying, citrus scent that is revitalizing and uplifting and is one of the most fragrant essential oils. Lemon consists of 68 percent d-limonene, a powerful antioxidant. It is delightfully refreshing in water and may be beneficial for the skin. Lemon may also be used to enhance the flavor of foods. Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rind of Citrus limon, a twenty-foot tree with highly scented blossoms and lemon fruits. Lemon essential oil contains compounds that are studied fortheir effects on immune function. Jean Valnet MD estimated that it takes 3,000 lemons to produce one kilo of oil. In his book, The Practice of Aromatherapy, Valnet wrote that lemon is a tonic for supporting the nervous and sympathetic nervous system. Lemon has an approximate ORAC of 6,619 (TE/L). TE/L is expressed as micromole Trolox equivalent per liter.
Historical Data: Lemons were used in Europe as early as 200 A.D. and were introduced to the Americas in 1493 by Christopher Columbus. Lemons were also given to sailors to treat scurvy and other vitamin deficiencies.Research by Jean Valnet, MD, showed that vaporized lemon essential oil can kill meningococcus bacteria in 15 minutes, typhoid bacilli in one hour, Staphylococcus aureus in two hours, and Pneumococcus bacteria within three hours. Even a 0.2% solution of lemon oil can kill diphtheria bacteria in 20 minutes and inactivate tuberculosis bacteria. Lemon oil has been widely used in skin care to cleanse skin and reduce wrinkles and combat acne. Lemon has also shown to have antidepressant effects in research done by Komori, et al., 1995.
Limonene — 59-73%
Gamma-Terpinene — 6-12%
Beta-Pinene — 7-16%
Alpha-Pinene — 1.5-3%
Sabinene — 1.5-3%
Lemon Essential Oil Wellness Solutions: Use this oil for circulatory issues, arterioslerosis, obesity, parasites, urinary tract infections, varicose veins, anxiety, hypertension, digestive issues and acne. It strengthens nails, removes sticky substances and can even be used as an insect repellant when diffused.* When ingested, it is a good source of d-limonene, a powerful antioxidant and cancer inhibitor (see orange essential oil documentation). Lemon essential oil also prevents cellular mutation and enhances DNA repair.
Application: Dilute 1 part Lemon essential oil with 1 part organic vegetable oil. Apply directly on location, chakras/Vita Flex points, directly inhale, diffuse, or take as a dietary supplement. When using as a supplement, dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of vegetable oil and put in a capsule. Then take one capsule before each meal or as desired. Or add 1 drop of Lemon essential oil into a glass of purified drinking water ~ note: please use glass because therapeutic grade essential oils will eat plastic.
Caution ~ If pregnant or under a doctor's care, consult your physician before ingesting lemon essential oil. Dilution is recommended when applied topically. Lemon oil is photosensitizing, so avoid exposure to direct sunlight/UV rays for up to twelve hours after applying topically.
Fragrance: It promotes clarity of thought and purpose with a fragrance that is invigorating, enhancing and warming. University researchers in Japan found that diffusing certain aromas in an office environment dramatically improved mental accuracy and concentration. Diffused lemon resulted in 54 percent fewer errors, Jasmine 33 percent fewer errors and lavender 20 percent fewer errors. When aromas were diffused during test taking, scores increased by as much as 50 percent. A 1995 Mie University study found that citrus fragrances boosted immunity, induced relaxation and reduced depression.Top Uses for Lemon
- Add one teaspoon of lemon essential oil to one cup mineral oil for an effective furniture polish.
- For general household cleaning purposes, it works well for removing gum, wood stain, oil, and grease spots.*
- Add a few drops to your dishwasher for spotfree dishes.
- Diffuse to freshen your home or or add a few drops to a spray bottle to deodorize and sterilize the air.
- Add two drops to water for purification or combine with peppermint (Mentha piperita) to provide a refreshing lift.
- Add to food or baking as a dietary supplement and flavoring.
- Add ten drops to a cotton ball and place inside your vacuum cleaner.
- Helps in weight reduction and reduction of cellulite. Simply put one or two drops at the bottom of your feet along with one or two drops of Grapefruit Oil, before you go to sleep. The healing chemicals will enter your blood stream. For a greater effect, massage Cel-Lite Magic Oil to desired location and massage.
- Cooking: substitute lemon oil for lemon juice of lemon seasoning to flavour seafood, vegetables, beverages and desserts.
- Oily Skin: place a drop on skin/blemishes at night to help balance oil glands and minimize oil production.
- Corns, callous, bunions: Run 2-3drops on affected areas morning and evening
Adding Young Living Therapeutic Grade Lemon Oil to your skin care routine is a great way to clearing acne, cleaning greasy skin and hair, as well as removing dead skin cells, easing painful cold sores, mouth ulcers, herpes and insect bites.
- By adding a few drops of Lemon Oils into your skin care remedies will help to clear congested skin and reduce wrinkles.
- The antiseptic effect of the Lemon Oil helps to treat any cuts, burns and minor wounds. The rubefacient action of the oil further helps to sort out cellulite, as well as helping with acne.
- Can be used as a mouth wash or gargle to sort out mouth ulcers and to help whiten teeth.
- Lemon Oil is a very powerful emotional and physical purifier. Lemon Oil when absorbed into the blood stream, actively stimulates and boost the immune system, and helps improve circulation and aids the digestive system. It also helps move the lymphatic system and thus flushing out toxins in the body.
- Lemon oil helps detox the liver, kidneys, blood and the cells of the body, reduce the acidity of the body, and helps balance the pH Levels in the body.
*Before cleaning upholstery, fabric, or carpet, perform a spot test. Discontinue use in the unlikely event of staining or in the case of skin irritation, add some V-6 Oil and massage on location.
To learn more about essential oils and to experience the application of therapeutic grade essential oils, join one of our workshops. We also offer individual Aromatherapy consultation. To book a session, please sms 016-4525363 and Han Ni will call you back.
And please do click on our Young Living Essential Oils Link to read more about the Young Living Essential Oils.
Choong Han Ni Young Living Member No 1350523